Monday, September 11, 2006

I am not big on forwarded emails. Infact, I usually delete them before even opening them. I actually asked one of my friends to forward this email to me. Some of it is pretty funny... I do remember some of this stuff... and some of it I was too old for... I really feel dated!
I changed a few a things on the list - taking some away and adding others. I have even commented on a few. :-)
See what you remember.... or don't remember....

You Know You Grew Up In The 80's if:

1. You've ever ended a sentence with "PSYCH!"
2. You can sing the rap to the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air.
3. Girls wore biker shorts under their skirts and felt stylishly sexy.
4. You owned those lil' Strawberry Shortcake pals scented dolls.
5. You know that "WOAH" comes from Joey on Blossom.
6. Two words: Parachute Pants
7. You had plastic streamers on your handle bars
8. It was actually worth getting up early on a Saturday to watch cartoons.
9. You wore a ponytail on the side of your head.
10. You saw the original Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles on the big screen..and still know the turtles names. - I never saw this, but I do remember it being in the theater!
11. You got super-excited when it was Oregon Trail day in computer class at school. - I never had computers in my classes. I do remember those ancient Apple IIe's though.
12. You made your mom buy one of those clips that would hold your shirt in a knot on the side.
13. You played the game "MASH"(Mansion, Apartment, Shelter, House)
14. You wore stonewashed jeans.
15. L.A. Gear....need I say more?
16. You wanted to change your name to "JEM" in Kindergarten. (She's Truly Outrageous.) - Who is JEM? Am I too old for that?
17. You remember reading Tales of a fourth grade nothing and all The Ramona books.
18. You know the profound meaning of "WAX ON, WAX OFF"
19. You wanted to be a Goonie. - I remember the movie, but I never wanted to be one!
20. You ever wore fluorescent clothing. (some of us...head-to-toe)
21. You can remember what Michael Jackson looked like before his nose fell off and his cheeks shifted.
22. You have ever pondered why Smurfette was the only female smurf. - When will Smurfs make their come-back like Ponies, Care Bears, Cabbage Patch Kids and Strawberry Shortcake?
23. You remember the CRAZE, then the BANNING of slap bracelets.
24. You still get the urge to say "NOT" after every sentence.
25. You thought She-ra (Princess of Power!) and He-Man should hook up.
26. You thought your childhood friends would never leave because you exchanged handmade friendship bracelets.
27. You ever owned a pair of Jelly-Shoes.
28. After you saw Pee-Wee's Big Adventure you kept saying "I know you are, but what am I?"
29. You remember "I've fallen and I can't get up"
30. You remember going to the skating rink before there were inline skates.
31. You ever got seriously injured on a Slip and Slide.
32. You have ever played with a Skip-It.
33. You had or attended a birthday party at McDonalds. - I don't remember doing that, but my brother took his Prom date there...
34. You've gone through this nodding your head in agreement.
35. Don't worry, be happy
36. You wore like, EIGHT pairs of socks over tights with high top Reeboks.
37. You wore socks scrunched down (and sometimes still do..getting yelled at by younger hip members of the family) Is that not cool anymore?
38. You remember boom boxes and walking around with one on your shoulder like you were all that.
39. You remember watching both Gremlins movies.
40. You thought Doogie Howser/Samantha Micelli was hot.
41. You remember Alf, the lil furry brown alien from Melmac.
42. You remember New Kids on the Block when they were cool...and don't even flinch when people refer to them as "NKOTB" - They played at my grad night, along with Samantha Fox.
43. You knew all the characters names and their life stories on "Saved By The Bell," The ORIGINAL class.
44. You know all the words to Bon Jovi - SHOT THROUGH THE HEART.
45. You just sang those words to yourself.
46. You remember watching Magic vs. Bird.
47. Homemade Levi shorts.. (the shorter the better)
48. You remember when mullets were cool!
49. You had a mullet! - Can't say I ever had one of those!
50. You still sing "We are the World"
51. You tight rolled your jeans.
52. You owned a bannana clip.
53. You remember "Where's the Beef?"
54. You used to (and probably still do) say "What you talkin' 'bout Willis?" - Dave and I have even taught this to Emma!
55. You had big hair and you knew how to use it.
56. You're still singing shot through the heart in your head, aren't you!
57. You crimped your hair. - Oh yes! I loved to wear a crimped side pony tale.
58. You remember when Cabbage Patch Kids FIRST came out.
59. Bangle bracelets!
60. Everybody wore espidrilles - male and female.
61. Pretty and Pink was your favorite movie. What ever happened to those sappy John Hughes films?
62. You had a picture of Ralph Macchio in your locker.
63. You read The Outsiders.
64. "Like, Oh my gosh!" "Gag me with a spoon!" "I am so sure!"
65. You knew the words to "Stray Cat Strut"
66. You ate frozen yogurt. - I even worked at a place called "Heidi's Frogen Yozurt".
67. $10 could fill up your gas tank.
68. You remember Ronald Reagan as president - the first term. - I even went hear him give his campaign speech!
69. You wore shoulder pads in your tops.
70. You know the word to the "The Super Bowl Shuffle"

Can you think of anymore?

9 comments:

Toevs said...

71. Rubic's Cube, anyone?
72. MTV and VH1 were new.
73. One word, "THRILLER!"
74. Miami Vice
75. Breakfast Club was the mantra of every teenage malcontent.
76. Raybans
77. Bleaching your jeans, jean jacket and hair.
78. Headgear = geek
79. KROQ - Southern Cal. Alternative station
80. Break dancing & poppin' & lockin'
81. Black penny loafers and white socks
82. Lots of hairspray - aquanet
83. Ferrari Testarossa
84. DeLorean
85. Who shot J.R.?
86. 12" single LP's
87. New fangled "CD's"
88. dual cassette players (not for recording illegally.)
89. scratchin' records
90. ultimate frisbee
91. American Gladiators
92. Rocky II, III, IV, V(?)
93. Rambo I (First Blood), Rambo II, III
94. Robocop
95. Commodore 64
96. Intellivision
97. Colecovision
98. Atari 128

Jaena said...

I am so old! Sad to say, but this was my era. So glad to know I was part of a "totally rad" 80's crowd.

How about the group Chicago and Whitney Houston (the early years)...

Deb said...

Let's see, Debbie Gibson, Tiffany, The Jets (Baby, I can rocket 2 u)
Oh yeah, spelling it 2 U instead of to you, sissy test of rubbing an eraser on your skin, LYLAS (love you like a sister,) pudding pops (man I wish they still made those things,) Superfriends, Hobie and Ocean Pacific shirts, bermuda shorts, abc after school specials, the Coreys (Haim and Feldman,) Kirk Cameron, and the kid off of Our House - Chad Allen (was that his name?)

Toevs said...

Why don't they make those afterschool specials anymore?
I used to love to watch those!
There was an O.P. outlet near my house growing up and I used to get cool O.P. t-shirts for really cheap!
What about Maui & Sons too? Or was that just a coastal thing?

Toevs said...

I don't know why it says I commented at 6:07am... is this on CA time? It is really 9:07 here in IN.

jenny marvin mealy said...

Like, oh my gosh, it was so cool to relive that for a moment-I'm like so totally a child of the 80's!

we actually used a commodore 64 with a cassette tape drive! what a trip!

Thanks for the memories.

jenny marvin mealy said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jaena said...

You can change the time zone somewhere in the settings. I did it, but I think mine is messed up again...

Eric Tuin said...

Yea, it's pretty bad when you dont grow up in the "hippest" of places and still you know 90% of those things. Thanks for the laugh.