We are well into our Advent season anxiously awaiting Christmas. The girls are excited. Emma stated the other day, "Christmas isn't about the gifts. It is about Jesus who was born on Christmas Day." She is right. It isn't about the presents. It's not about how many we get, how much we spend, who got more, did we buy enough... It's about remembering and celebrating the most precious gift of all... the day Jesus was born, the day He took on human form, the day He graced this world with Himself.
We have tried to teach this to our girls. When they look back and remember Christmas as a child, I want them to have happy memories of giving. Memories of fun together as a family. Memories of celebrating Jesus's birth.
We have this great advent calendar that I was able to copy from a friend of mine (Thanks, Jen). I filled each pocket not with candy, but with activities. We started by making gifts to give to someone else. Other days, we have driven to look at Christmas lights, had hot chocolate to drink, read Christmas stories, watched Christmas videos (The First Noel is a great children's video!). Yet to come is acting out the Christmas story from the Bible, and lastly, a slumber party in the living room on Christmas Eve.
After putting up a new ornament on the advent tree, we read from The ADVENTure of Christmas - Helping Children Find Jesus in our Holiday Traditions (by Lisa Whelchel). The kids are having a great time and it has become a nightly event to to do the advent calendar.
This Christmas has seemed less stressful and much more JOYFUL which is what it is all about! I am thankful for the gift of joy that I have this season!
How are you finding joy this holiday season?
7 comments:
I love the ideas of celebrating on that advent calendar! Where did your friend get hers! Too late for us this year but I would love to have one next year!!:)
Thanks for keeping me in line on blogging too - check me out. I posted again...Not too interesting but I will get better in the new year;)!
Merry Christmas to you and your family!
Jen made her calendar - a copy of one her Grandmother made. I copied too and made my own. I can help you out if your interested. :)
I just found a typo. I hate that. It is not "...if your interested", but rather "...if you're interested. The teacher in me just can't let that go uncorrected. :-)
Ok, I try to correct my posts and comments, before I publish, but sometimes I don't notice the mistakes until it's too late. I forgot a " after the word interested. Just pretend it's there. :-)
I love this idea and may need to copy it next year. What can I help you with? If it's how to "fix" mistakes in posts, you can go back and edit it and republish. :)
Great idea. We do three different advent calendars (one ornament, one candy, one hanging up pieces of the nativity,) but I really like this idea. We may have to do four next year.
Nice calendar.
Find joy by spending lots of time with my family.
Post a Comment