Thursday, January 18, 2007

My Favorite Things

Rain drops on roses and whiskers on kittens
Bright copper kettles and warm woolen mittens
Brown paper packages tied up with strings
These are a few of my favorite things...

When the dog bites,
When the bee stings
When I'm feeling sad
I simply remember my favorite things
And then I don't feel so bad...

(words from "My Favorite Things" from The Sound of Music)

I was thinking about this and started mentally coming up with some of my own "Favorite things". I thought I'd post them here.

  • hearing my girls giggle
  • watching my girls get along
  • hearing of good things my children have done
  • dates with my husband
  • time with family
  • hot showers
  • quite, uninterrupted hot showers
  • fresh baked cookies - especially gooey ones with chocolate in them
  • good coffee
  • sleeping in
  • time alone
  • time with friends
  • new clothes
  • a clean, organized house (but I don't want to be the one to clean it! Organizing is fun but cleaning, not so much.)
  • the smell of new babies
  • watching sappy romantic comedy movies (like the John Hughes movies of the 80's)
  • eating a meal that I didn't have to cook
  • BSF (Bible Study Fellowship) although I am not able to go right now. I miss it though! That was my favorite Bible Study! Someday I want to go again!
  • clean laundry - and truthfully, I kind of like doing laundry... sick isn't it?....
  • traveling (although flying is not as fun as it used to be!)
  • tap dancing
  • watching Emma tap dance... and looking forward to watching Anna dance as well
  • dancing with my husband
  • candles
  • music - I just wish I was muscially talented!
  • getting mail, regular mail, email, it doesn't matter - even blog comments work for me. :-)
  • the beginning of each new season, but especially spring and summer!
  • the warmth of the sun
  • Christmas
  • being creative
  • having a suntan
  • having Dave plan a trip and it being a complete surprise for me - he did this for our 10th anniversary. :-)
  • water skiing
  • camping

I am sure I can come up with lots more! I get so bogged down with the day in and day stuff... it is fun to think of things I like, instead of spending so much time, thought and energy on things I don't like! It was fun to come up with my list (yes, I like lists...) even if I can't always do or have the things on my list, it is nice to at least think of things I like!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oooooo!!! I have to say I agree with your list almost 100%, except that I like to clean not organize:). Maybe we should get together and swap houses. I'll clean, you organize:)!

That was fun to read, I might have to come up with my own list now!

Toevs said...

Sure, Marion, we can swap, you clean, I'll organize... do you think the miles between us would cause any problems? Hey, I know, you and Eric can move here! That would be fun! :-)

Boswell said...

Hey There,
I liked your list..."good things" as Martha Stewart would say. I love 80's movies too. We should have a girls' night some time where we eat a bunch of junk food and watch cheesy flicks from the 80's. Also, just wanted to let you know that I developed the pictures from our SS party and am starting the scrapbook on Monday. Chip and I won't be there this Sunday either because we are visiting my family in Cincinnati.
Beth

Anonymous said...

Like the list, it is a good reminder. I actually heard that song on the radio before Christmas, I guess they were playing it as a Christmas song...even then it was a good reminder of all the "little" things that help keep us sane and enjoying life. With so much that we "have" to do it is nice (especially as a Mom) to do the things you like to do. Thanks I'll have to get Marion's list for future reference :)

Toevs said...

I want to add to my list... I can't believe I didn't put these two things on there!

* finding good bargains... Old Navy clearance is great! As well as other clearance racks. :-)

* the BEACH!

Boswell said...

Ronda,
I SWEAR I'm not censoring you. I guess I'm only getting about half of your comments. Maybe it's because I hate change and refuse to switch to the NEW blogger. Anyway, if you ever don't see one of your comments on there, don't take it personally, just blame blogger. :)

Toevs said...

Beth,

I too have not switched over to the new blogger. I guess blogger just doesn't like me... that is if you are not censoring me... HA HA
So I will just blame blogger. I am posting my comment to you here, because I know I can. No guarantee on your blog. :-)

Anonymous said...

....and of course, you like blogging, right? :)

Toevs said...

Anon,

Yes, I like blogging, but I like reading blogs more than writing my own.... I especially like reading yours. :-)

Anonymous said...

Now if you can just put it to music you'd have a winner :)
I really miss MOPS - last semester I wasn't able to go because I taught a lab at IWU and childcare was tough to work out. This semester, I just need a day to stay home in Hartford City! (I teach MWF at IWU). I may end up going to the one in Upland next year - quite a bit closer to our new home. Of course, I moved farther from MOPS the same year you moved it closer to my previous house! Gas City wouldn't be so bad now. Oh well. Thanks for missing me! I miss you guys too, but I think I would miss my sanity more, assuming that I actually have some sanity. I'm really having a hard time getting up and around by 9am, let alone getting dressed and getting Daniel dressed and getting to Marion by 9 am. Sometimes I feel so lazy - and then I remember that I'm pregnant! I think I've lost my mind... Maybe we can get together sometime and invite Jaena along - we love Ivanhoes!

Anonymous said...

Do you want to do lunch with kids or get away for dessert some evening without kids? Tuesday/Thursday is my best bet for either.

Lisa said...

Ok, so remember how we talked about how many things we could find in common, this whole clean/organize thing isn't one of them. I can clean like a pro, but organization is not one of my forte's...at least in most parts of my life.

When shall we plan a date? I'm all here (oh, wait, it's not like I can go too far when I'm attached to the wall by a cord and in bed trying to get better!)

Smiles!