Thursday, January 10, 2008

I am still somewhere on this planet....

I have not been gone because of any ill feelings towards my blogworld friends. I did not lose my computer in the move. I did however lose internet in the move.
One of the joys/challenges of being a pioneer out here in the land of soybeans and corn, is that the utility companies didn't properly prepare for our arrival. We are living in a GREAT house, in a GREAT neighborhood without phones or internet.
AT & T said they could hook us up on December 20. Then after not showing up to our appointment, they called and said it would be January 18 - at the EARLIEST! I see four or five trucks of theirs out here everyday. Most of the time, I see men sitting in the cabs doing nothing. I rarely see them working. UGH!!!!
Even IF they finally get service out here, they are only going to offer dial-up service. Who uses that anymore?
Our only real option (for internet) seems to be to use cable. Brighthouse finally got their act together and my parents got connected yesterday. However, for us, that option seems a little out of our price range... remember, we are a one income family - with a teacher's salary!
As far as phone, we do a pay as you go cell phone and are quickly using those minutes up. We did find a wireless phone company to use, but when the bill came, it was twice as much as they advertised... with all the taxes and fees... so Dave wants to cancel that. UGH!!!
I feel like I am living in the dark ages sometimes.
However, all that frustration aside, I absolutely LOVE our new house!!!!! We are settling in nicely. So far the kitchen and living room are painted. The girls' bathroom and bedrooms are done. I am waiting a big inspiration as far as color for the rest of the house. I think all boxes are unpacked... except I am still missing some framed pictures.
We had Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and New Year's Eve at our house. We would have had Dave's birthday there too, but I was sick that day... so we did that at my parents. My brother and family came to visit and we had space for them. :-)
I love being home. It is my favorite place to be!
Hopefully I can access the outside world from the comfort of my own space!

6 comments:

Keetha Broyles said...

So, where did you go to post this entry?

I'm the QUEEN of finding places to blog - - - the library has free computers you can use as does Tree of Life - - - and you can get yummy drinks/food at Tree of Life. I THINK Thursday night is a special price on coffee.

Anyway - - - I'm SOOOOO glad you are back, I missed you a lot.

Keetha Broyles said...

Finally, after a year and a half of blogging, I figured out how to make a link list - - - go find yourself on my list!!! :-)

The Miller Clan said...

Glad to hear you are getting settled! Would love to see pictures!!!! Love you all! J

Toevs said...

Keetha, I heard Tree of Life got rid of their computers. :-(

I am blogging from my parents' house. They have cable. :-) We are still figuring out what to do...

Keetha Broyles said...

Well, you are MISSED on here. Hope you get your dilemma solved soon.

Marion said...

Hey lady! Glad things are settling down for you:). At least your parents are neighbors so you don't have to go too far to get internet:)!