I enjoy change... to some degree anyway. I like rearranging the furniture. I like reorganizing the cabinets/closets. I like to try new hair styles (not so quick to change the color though...). I like to spice up the wardrobe. And so I thought it was time to change the template on my blog. :-) Whatcha think?
Yesterday I meant to post a special blog, but didn't get to it... So I will attempt to do it today instead. It is in honor of a dear friend, Mabel. She was like a Grandmother to me and yesterday would have been her 105th birthday, if she was still alive. Unfortunately, she passed away almost 10 years ago... a change I didn't like! I still miss her. I wish my kids could have known her. Oddly enough, sometimes Emma reminds me of her - even though they never met and there is no blood relation between them. They would have enjoyed each other's humor!
Mabel was always memorizing bible verses and short poems. I remember her saying, "I love you little, I love you big, I love you like a little pig." She was a silly one and fun to be around. For New Years' Eve she would call her pastor at midnight (and waking him up) and ask, "Is this 1-9-8-5?" (or whatever the new year number was... this year it would be 2-0-0-7.) The response was always, "No, you have the wrong number." She got such a tickle out of it.
In honor of her, I am posting a poem she memorized and said often...
HEAVEN'S GROCERY STORE
One day I saw a sign that read, "HEAVEN'S GROCERY STORE".
As I got a little closer, the door came open wide, and when I came to myself I was standing inside.
I saw a host of ANGELS. They were standing everywhere. One handed me a basket and said, "My Child, Shop With Care".
Everything a Christian needs is in that grocery store. And all you can't carry, come back the next day for more.
First, I got some PATIENCE; LOVE was in the same row.
Further down was UNDERSTANDING; needed everywhere you go. I got a box or two of WISDOM, a bag or two of FAITH.
I just couldn't miss the HOLY GHOST, it was all over the place.
I stopped to get some STRENGTH, and COURAGE to help me run this Race.
By then my basket was getting full, and I remembered I needed GRACE.
I didn't forget SALVATION, which like the others was free. So I tried to get enough of that to save both you and me.
Then I started to the counter to pay my grocery bill, For I thought I had everything to do my MASTER'S will.
As I went up the aisle, I saw PRAYER; and had to put it in, for I knew when I stepped outside, I would run right into sin.
PEACE AND JOY were plentiful; they were on the lastshelf.
SONG and PRAISE were hanging near, so I just helped myself.
Then I said to the angel, "How much do I owe?"
The angel smiled and said, "Just take them everywhere you go."
Again, I politely asked, "How much do I really owe?"
The Angel smiled again and said, "MY CHILD, JESUS PAID YOUR BILL A LONG, TIME AGO."
Happy 105, Mabel!
1 comment:
Thank you Ronda,your dad gave us the heads up about your blog, those are sweet memories. my most historic memory will always stay the "mistory donut" and the legandary oreo cookies and milk. miss you guys, but always enjoy hearing from you (or about you)
Post a Comment