Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Chapter 5 - The Journey Home

So we got to LAX somewhere around 5:00 am. The place was a zoo already! Once we finally figured out where to stand in line to check in, we waited. We finally did the self check-in and someone put tags on our bags. In Indy, this is where they take your bags, put them on a conveyor belt, and send them off to the plane. In LA, this is where they give your bags back to you and make you walk a long way away and stand in another line. So we did. Thankfully as we were in line, an employee asked us what time our flight was. He said we would never make a 6:20 flight standing in that line an he had us put our bags on a cart and he took them to another x-ray machine. Then we had to walk to another area to stand in yet another line. This line was for us to go through security. We finally made it through and went to our gate.

As we checked in we noticed that none of our seats were next to each other on the plane. When we got the gate, Dave asked the man there if we could get our seats changed. He told us that we couldn't because the flight was full. If we wanted to wait for 5 hours, we could fly stand-by on another flight. (Yeah, right!) Boy, what a difference from the gate in Indy! We decided that people on the plane would be willing to change seats, so we took our chances at staying on that same flight. Dave went to try to find some breakfast for us and the girls and I huddled on the floor (there were no seats available) and prayed that God would find us seats together. The one man may not have cared, but we knew God cared! Dave came back as people were already boarding and he had no food. The lines everywhere were too long. Another man that was working the gate did get us seats that were somewhat together... at least 3 were together and Emma's seat was five rows away. He gave us the new boarding passes just as were next in line to board. I was first to enter the plane, so I told the flight attendant our dilemma of our 6 year old not being seated with us. She was the "first class" attendant and was no help at all. I said something to the next flight attendant and she said, "Oh that's NOT going to happen!" She was so helpful! We then had all our seats in the same row! I knew God would work it all out.

The flight itself was pretty uneventful. We did spend a fortune buying sandwiches to eat though. But it was better than starving. We landed in St. Louis and ate at a restaurant in the airport. Then we boarded our next flight to return home. Our seats on that flight weren't together either, but they were much more helpful in St. Louis. The lady at the gate got us seats in pairs. Once on the plane, the flight was not full, so we were able to sit together in the back of the plane.
We landed safely in Indy, got our luggage and found our shuttle to the hotel where we had left the car. The shuttle driver even dropped us off right by the car. We loaded up and drove home. Leaving California so early was a pain, but it sure was nice to be home by dinnertime. We were able to get unpacked a little, do a little laundry, and go to bed early.


It is always fun to go visit family and friends, but it is also a good feeling to be home!

3 comments:

Marion said...

So fun! I loved reading about your journey in chapters. I saved my comments for the end but it definitely sounds like a GREAT trip and a fun time away! Thanks for sharing your adventures - I almost felt like I got tucked away in your luggage and joined you guys on the trip:D!

Shannon said...

Thanks, I know I was there, but up front. I feel so out of it, since there was no Sunday school and I was gone last week- looking forward to it next Sunday!

Lisa said...

I think I agree that your trip to CA was the better deal! It's hard to get spoiled and then not have it again!

I'm so happy you had such a good time, but I'm also going to be selfish and say that I am really glad you are home. Sunday School just wasn't the same without you two there. Then, even weirder that we didn't have it at all this Sunday. Good thing there was MOPS for catching up!

Let's connect this week. I'd love to chat more, even tho we planned a date for after meeting on the 19th to celebrate the "end to a burnout!"