Thursday, February 21, 2008

Friends

As I sit here cooped up all day with a sick child, I begin to think of things I wish I could do. Here is the start of my list:
  • feel the warmth of sunshine (and 75 degrees!)
  • feel warm sand between my toes as I hear the crashing of waves upon the seashore (Can you tell I miss California?)
  • drink a good cup of coffee while laughing with a friend (not drinking my boring coffee while sitting at my computer)
  • get back to my scrap booking... never mind, that sounds like too much work :-)
  • hang out with my CA buddies (did I mention I miss CA?)

I guess what I really wish I could do is take a trip to CA. I really enjoying living here and I have made some great friends here. But there will always be a spot in my heart for California. Today as Anna is laying in bed sick, I too am feeling sick... homesick, that is.

I think what really got me feeling this way was something that happened this weekend. So let me back up...

Dave recently got an email from an old college friend of his. Somehow, An found Dave's email address. Turns out he lives in Illinois and has a brother in Fishers. This weekend he and his family (his wife and two girls) were making a trip to Fishers to see his brother. So we made plans to connect. An and Michelle came to our house Sunday. We hadn't seen them since their wedding December of '95... 12 years ago. It was great to reconnect and to meet their girls. Dave and An talked about college days and it made me miss my college friends. It was great to have friends we knew in CA sitting in our living room in Indiana.

Then yesterday I got a call from one of my college friends. (It was great talking to you, Melissa!) I love having friends that when you talk, you can simply pick up where you left off, even if it has been a long time between conversations!

I am not trying to minimize any of my friendships that I have here. I have made some great friends here in the last 5 1/2 years. I can't imagine living anywhere else and if I did, I would deeply miss my friends here. I wish all the people I love could be in the same place at the same time. :-) Then I wouldn't have to miss any of you!

For all of you in CA that are reading, know that I miss you.

For those reading here in IN, know that I am thankful for you.

9 comments:

Opa's Blog said...

Great reading your blog. We just returned from CA and though it was nice weather, which we enjoyed, I am less impressed with CA every time I go back there. We sure had a great time with the kids and grandkids though. I've blogged several times lately. Check it out if you have time.
Uncle,
Jan

Shannon said...

I know what you mean- it's great to see how God provides different friends in your life for different reasons and for different seasons of your life.

Jaena said...

I wanted to invite you over to have coffee (ok, maybe it would be hot chocolate) and catch up, but when I heard Anna was sick I didn't. :( Maybe this weekend we could go OUT and catch up! We're going to the dinner theater tomorrow night - wanna sit together and double date?

Toevs said...

Hey! What about spending quality time with your husband?!

Keetha Broyles said...

I grew up in WI, miss it dearly. Then went to college and spent the first of our married years in South Carolina. There are still people there I truly enjoy seeing when I get the chance. Then we moved to North Carolina - - - and of course we had to leave many friends there when we moved to Indiana. Now I have a world of friends here whom I would certainly miss if we were separated.

Yes - - - I do understand what you are talking about.

Beth said...

I have a book for you. I have two for you actually. They are both non-fiction, but both are amazingly entertaining. I will get them to you on Sunday.
Beth

Marley and Me
and
Girl Meets God

The Miller Clan said...

I sure miss you too my cuz! I wish you lived closer and our kids could get to know each other better! I miss Colorado at times too! Glad you finally got connected! Love ya!

Max Franklin said...

Hey- I just checked in with you and loved your sentiments about us in CA. We have a lot of catching up to do! Here is a quirky thing, I just know you'll say, "Awww...." I got a letter from OCTFCU today announcing that they are changing their name. One phrase in the letter states that they understand many of their customers will "find it difficult" because they grew up with "OCTFCU" and that they want to honor the legacy by "adopting the tagline" 'Serving School Employees as OCTFCU since 1934.' Lame bargaining point, huh? Remember how we used to use an accent when talking about going to the bank? OC-T-F-CU!!!!! More soon!

Love,
Jen

Tara said...

Ronda,

I was thinking of you this morning & decided to catch up on your blog. You inspired me to start my own blog, but sadly I have only done two entries. Next time you come to CA please come over for a good visit. I will let you play with my Barbie Dream House again. LOL.

Tara