Monday, March 05, 2007

Every Four Years

There is something about four years...

I think it started in high school. I was there for four years, then I graduated. Next came college. I was there for four years, then I graduated. I went into teaching. I taught in the same classroom for four years, then switched. I taught fourth grade for four years before moving to kindergarten. I lived in Santa Ana for four years before deciding to move to IN (although it took another year for us to actually move...)
I have been in MOPS for 5 years, four years on steering. Had I left last year, I would have left feeling great. I think it was time. However, circumstances weren't right, so I stayed another year. I am now feeling burned out and stressed. What is it about four years? It seems I have an internal clock that is ready for something different every four years. Why is that? I apologize to all the MOPS moms that read this blog. It really is nothing personal! I think MOPS is a great organization. I think it is so beneficial to moms. I am all for it! I just am not all about being coordinator at this point. I am sorry if it shows. I am not good at "faking it".
I just think it is strange how four years go by and I think it is time for a change. We had lived in our house for four years before really starting to change things in it. After four years of looking at a kitchen we really didn't like, we changed it. Next on the list is the basement. Four and half years is ENOUGH of a basement that leaks. It should be fixed later this month. :-)
There are some things that I never want to change...not in four years, not in eight, not ever. Things that I don't want to change are relationships.
(Unless they change for the better!) Relationships with my husband, my kids, my extended family, my friends. That is what is truly important!

6 comments:

Beth said...

Hey,
Thanks a bunch for having us over for lunch. It was very good and we also enjoyed your kiddos immensely. Last night Chip said, "Those Toevs girls are crazy!" In a good way of course! He thought they were really cool and a lot of fun to be around.
Thanks Again,
Beth

Jaena said...

Ronda, your 4 years observations are good. How interesting! I'm just sorry you had to continue past the point when it was enjoyable (I know how that is). At least we have our future co-coordinators kind of stepping up already - right? ;)

Marion said...

Hmmm - maybe we are programmed from High School onward for a change every four years. I'm going to think about this four year code in my life:D!

Have a GREAT week:)!

Shannon said...

I think maybe this is a natural and good thing. It reminds me of being content. And yes, we're supposed to be always with our circumstances, but at the same time, if we were always content, then we wouldn't be constantly trying to grow, change, and be shaped. So maybe you're the perfect example of how life's suppposed to be!! :)

Eric Tuin said...

I broke the 4 year cycle in College, 3 years at one and 2 at another...after I think 5 years at this company we moved to Denver and now we have been here almost 5 years...sometimes i wonder if it is time for a change, the problem is I don't want to "go to work" I'd rather do something that could support me and have fun doing it. I guess we'll see, thanks for Blogging!

Lisa said...

Guilt. Isn't it a frustrating thing? I think we all face it - mothers or not. The cool thing is that you realize it's time for a change. I can so totally walk in your shoes. I was there a year ago. BOY O BOY! I got change...drastic change. (You're not moving are you? ! LOL!) Now, I've had a chance after stepping down from Coordinating MOPS for 3 years (Steering for 6.5) to try some other things. It's fun to be available to go into the classroom (except for that other dear one who I still keep with me hanging on!). Thing is, I won't miss MOPS for anything! IT's my lifeline right now! (Ok, so tonsilectomy ok...but then weather made it so I didn't miss it at all and I get to be pampered (and not at a Pampered Chef show of all things!) tomorrow at MOPS.

Hang in there. Only a few more meetings, and you can drop 300 pounds off your shoulders. Trust me, unless you've been there, it's hard to understand. That's why God connected us. You're a pretty cool friend.